Using images in your blog posts is one of the easiest and most effective things you can do to grab and hold the attention of your readers. Why are images important?
1. They deliver the message of your written content with a bigger impact- Inserting a unique, creative, visually appealing image that correlates with the text just reinforces your point.
2. They make your post more memorable- You’ve heard it since you were little. We all learn differently! Some people are visual learners, and a picture will stick with them much better than text.
3. They break up the text visually- Reading a computer screen is necessarily the most comfortable thing in the world. Our eyes get easily tired. Images break up huge chunks of gray text into more easily read bodies of information.
Choosing the Right Image
There are some simple rules when picking the right image to put in your story…
1. Good resolution. Nothing is worse than a blurry picture! You feel like your eyes aren’t adjusting correctly.
2. Vibrant colors. Unless the color scheme of dull and boring goes along with the attitude and theme you are portraying in your writing, pick colors that are appealing to the eye and stand out.
3. Interesting. It’s okay if not every single picture matches perfectly with your content, but it must go somehow and draw some intrigue into your article.
Give Credit Where Credit is Due!
Last, but certainly not least, don’t forget to GIVE CREDIT!
There are basically 3 types of images you can use…
1. Your own images
2. Free images
3. Paid images
The first is the easiest because you own the rights to your own image! So you can use it any way you choose. But when using free images, you usually need to attribute the image to its author or creator. The best way to do this is to place a link to the original image in your post! Or credit the author in a caption of the image.