In my Public Relations Applications class on Tuesday, November 9, we discussed communication around the world. We got into pairs and each pair researched a different country. My partner and I researched England and things that you should be aware of if you are doing business in England. Some of the interesting facts that we found include…
- Greet your business associate with a firm handshake. Unless the associate is a women, then you must wait for her to extend her hand first because women don’t necessarily shake hands.
- Do not wear a striped tie. Many British regimental ties are striped and yours might look like an imitation.
- If you are a guest at a meal, initiate your departure. The host won’t indicate that they wish the evening will come to an end.
- When going to do business, do not carry gifts with you. Gifts are not a part of business in England, so instead you may invite your hosts out to a meal or show
- Don’t rush your business prospects into making a decision. Decision-making is slower in England than in the U.S., so if they feel rushed then chances are they will turn your proposal down.
- Respect personal space!